Pedal For Polio
Pedal For Polio
Pedal 4 Polio – Crescent City to Petaluma August 13 – 19, 2017
District 5130 is hosting a 6 day bicycle ride from one end of our District to the other this coming August…from Crescent City to Petaluma to raise awareness of, and raise funds for, our fight against polio. We meet on Sunday, August 13th in Crescent City, have dinner and spend the night with local Rotarians, then start riding south in the morning. We ride for six days, averaging 55 miles per day, finishing in Petaluma on Saturday, August 19th, where the local Clubs are planning a giant party, celebration and media event, announcing how much we have raised (through pledges to riders), and spreading the word about Rotary’s work on ending Polio.
What??? Are we crazy? Well, sort of…but we’ll do almost anything to defeat this scourge.
How can I help (you ask)?
- Mark your calendars, Pedal 4 Polio, August 13 – 19, 2017.
- Registration is now closed for the 6 day ride. However, you can still sign up to ride the last one, two or 3 days.
- DONATE… If you’re not riding, pledge to sponsor one of the riders. Riders and your club’s Foundation Chair or Treasurer have pledge sheets for you to sign up on. Make checks out to “The Rotary Foundation” and in the memo section put “Polioplus” If you want to use your credit card, go to rotary.org, click on “Give” in the upper right corner. (Make sure to tell your Foundation Chair your using this method so they can record your donation on the pledge sheet. And remember, all pledges count towards your Paul Harris).
- Help your Club provide logistical support for riders along the route (meals, housing, rest stops, etc.).
- Help your Club promote the event on your personal social media pages, as well as local media.
- And last but not least, come out and cheer us on as we pedal through or by your town (you don’t know how much that is appreciated by weary riders 🙂
Our goal…100% participation from every single Rotarian in District 5130. Just imagine…If all 2,400 Rotarians in our District pledged just $0.10 per mile (Remember the March of Dimes?) to sponsor a rider, we would raise $84,000 for PolioPlus. That’s only $35 each…and when you add The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation 2 for 1 match, that number grows to over a quarter of a million dollars…$252,000 to be exact. At 60 cents per dose, that represents inoculations for 428,000 children…that is, as next year’s RI theme says, “Making a Difference”. Of course, if you wish to pledge more, who are we to say no? (Think how much a dollar, or even 50 cents per mile would raise?)
Pedal 4 Polio Riders you can support
(as of 8/9/17)
6 DAY RIDERS
Kevin Eisenberg – Calistoga
David Moon-Wainwright – Calistoga
John Cottle – Mendocino
Monica Rosenthal – Middletown
Chris Ranney – Petaluma
Matthew Carter – Honorary Member Petaluma Valley
Peter Hoberg – Santa Rosa Sunrise
Richard Power – Sebastopol
Bob Rogers – Sebastopol
Brain Bauer – Sebastopol Sunrise
Ellie Laherty – Spouse of Sebastopol Sunrise (1/2 relay)
Patrick Laherty – Sebastopol Sunrise (1/2 relay)
Bill Sauber – Sebastopol Sunrise
Sid Noyes – Southwest Eureka
3 DAY RIDERS
Brad Walton – Willits
2 DAY RIDERS
Mike Merrill – Santa Rosa West
1 DAY RIDERS
James Brenton – Healdsburg
Paul Frechette – Healdsburg
Mel Schatz – Healdsburg
Emilio Dela Cruz – Kelseyville Sunrise
Brett Shinn – Petaluma
Ryan Mason – Petaluma Sunrise
Andrea Pierotti – Petaluma Sunrise
Al Statz – Petaluma Sunrise
Jennifer Carter – Petaluma Valley
John Fitzgerald – Petaluma Valley
Russell Rice – Petaluma Valley
George Malkemus – Rancho Cotati
Mike Pastryk – Rohnert Park/Cotati
Julie Montgomery – Santa Rosa East
Greg Gill – Sebastopol
Michael Hixson – Sebastopol
Troy McAdams – Friend of Sebastopol
Craig Curreri – Windsor
Brian Ling – Windsor
SAG (SUPPORT & GEAR) DRIVERS
Larry Lira – Santa Rosa East – SAG Driver
Peg Rogers – Sebastopol – SAG Driver
David Mark-Raymond – Sebastopol Sunrise – SAG Driver
As a polio survivor, I am so appreciative of your ongoing support. Our District continues to be one of the major supporters of PolioPlus in our Zone. So come ride with us, have fun, and accomplish something great in the process…as one fellow Rotarian calls it…Fun with a purpose!!!
District Governor 2017-18